The Tanzania Geological Society (TGS) is an organization of geoscientists in Tanzania. The Society's members include geoscientist in the industry, academia, government institutions and all persons interested in geosciences by profession.
The objectives of the Society are as follows:
- To promote the development of mineral, oil and gas, and water resources of Tanzania for the benefit of the nation (Tanzania)
- To provide a forum for discussion and dissemination of information and co-operation between individual geoscientists, institutions, companies, associations and societies engaged in the development and positive utilisation of Tanzania’s mineral resources.
- To assist the government of Tanzania and its institutions in the acquisition and training of the specialized personnel for the purpose of meeting the Nation’s manpower requirements.
- To assist and advise the Government of Tanzania, public and private companies and institutions on policy and technical matters pertaining to the development and promotion of the earth resource industry.
- To promote the awareness and understanding of the earth and earth processes to the public.
Management of the Society
The Executive committee is responsible for the running and management of the society’s affairs, any approved resolution, and standing orders. The committee consist of the following: the President, Vice-President, Secretary General, Assistant Secretary General, the Treasurer, the Editor and Regional Representatives.